Somat Engineering of Ohio, Inc
950 Keynote Circle Unit 70
Brooklyn Heights, OH 44131
Phone: (313) 963-2721
Contact: Maggie Lentz
Somat Engineering of Ohio, Inc. (Somat) have immediate openings for a laboratory manager in our Brooklyn Heights, Ohio, offices. We are seeking energetic and personable laboratory professionals who are interested in growing their career in this field.
Somat is a diverse group of professionals that delivers sustainable infrastructure solutions and services for a better tomorrow. We specialize in geotechnical, construction, civil and environmental engineering and construction materials testing; and are known for our excellence in service, quality and doing the right thing.
A laboratory manager on our team will bring strong detail and analytical skills, excellent oral and written communication skills, solution-oriented knowledge, and a collaborative attitude that is essential for working in our multi-company and multi-departmental organization. They will work closely with our engineers and project managers to coordinate various field services. They are required to have practical knowledge of science and engineering, and a practical knowledge of mathematics or computer science. Some of the types of activities that they will be involved with are:
• Performing a variety of laboratory standardized tests tasks on soils and construction materials using established methods laboratory testing tasks.
• Management of AASHTO laboratory accreditation.
• Experience and familiarity performing soil and rock strength tests, including but not limited to ASTM D2850, D4767, and D2435.
• Reviewing and preparing laboratory test reports per ASTM requirements.
• Preparation of soil boring log reports.
• Perform Laboratory maintenance.
• Perform maintenance, arrange calibration and operation of laboratory testing equipment.
• Overseeing staff performing laboratory testing.
• Develop scopes and fees for laboratory testing.
Your tasks may include:
• Assisting the field geologist to locating and staking the boring locations per the proposal and project requirements.
• Reviewing the field logs for accuracy and consistency when delivered from the field.
• Preparing the soil boring logs based on the field logs and visual classification.
• Coordinating with the project engineer/supervisor for the review and finalizing of the boring logs.
• Coordinating with the project engineer/supervisor for the assigning and performing of laboratory testing.
• Preparing the final laboratory testing reports.
• Being the point person to coordinate deliverables with the project engineer/supervisor (Location diagrams, logs, laboratory testing, photographs, etc.).
• Organizing the laboratory operations to your suitability but within the framework of Somat laboratories, including maintaining cleanliness and organization.
And your role progresses, if you are interested and have capacity, we can get you involved in:
• Preparing scopes and fees for overall geotechnical investigations.
• Performing geotechnical analyses and preparing engineering reports.
This position may require some out-of-town work assignments depending on the project requirements.
• Duties will require lifting, carrying and pulling in excess of 50 lbs. occasionally, 20-50 lbs. frequently and up to 10 lbs. consistently.
• Duties will require frequent bending, walking, sitting and standing.
• Minimum of 1-3 years of experience
• Willingness to work in a team setting, be punctual, detail orientated, communicative
• Willingness to complete comprehensive measurement, computing, reporting, and documentation along with following standard processes, procedures, and report standards.
• Legal authorization to work in the United States
• Insurable driving record
Somat prides itself on performing any task with promptness and quality, which our clients have grown to know and expect. Somat employs some of the most experienced engineers in Michigan and Ohio, providing years of knowledge to both our clients and our employees.
For additional information: